HMCS Comox

Two ships have been commissioned HMCS Comox

The first, commissioned on November 23, 1938, the HMCS Comox was stationed at Esquimalt at the outbreak of the war, and carried out local patrol duties until March, 1940 when with HMCS Nootka, she was ordered to the east coast. Arriving at Halifax in April, she spent the entire war on local mine-sweeping duties for the Halifax Local Defence Force. On January 15, 1945, with the HMCS Fundy, she rescued survivors from the US liberty ship Martin Van Buren, torpedoed off Halifax. She was paid off July 27, 1945, sold for commercial purposes in 1946 and converted to a tug, the Sung Ming.

The second was commissioned on April 2, 1954 and was paid off in 1957, then transferred to the Turkish Navy which renamed her Tirebolu.

Thanks to National Defence for the above photos.

For more information on Comox history, visit the website for the Comox Archives & Museum Society.

Online: Comox Archives & Museum Society