Stage 1 Watering Restrictions
Posted on May 01, 2019
The Comox Valley Water System is now under Stage 1 water restrictions, which come into effect every year on May 1st. Please click on the Comox Valley Regions District NEWS RELEASE
During Stage 1 Restrictions:
A person may only use a sprinkler to water a lawn growing on a property with:
- An even numbered address – Between the hours of 5 am to 8 am and 7 pm to 10 pm on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. They may not use a sprinkler to water the lawn on any other day or time.
- An odd numbered address – Between the hours of 5 am to 8 am and 7 pm to 10 pm on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. They may not use a sprinkler to water the lawn on any other day or time.
- Local governments may use a sprinkler to water parks, ornamental lawns and grassed boulevards between the hours of 11 pm and 7 am on even numbered days for even numbered addresses and odd numbered days for odd numbered addresses.
An Individual May:
- Water trees, shrubs, flowers and vegetables on any day with a sprinkler during the prescribed hours for Stage 1 lawn watering and on any day at any time, if watering is done by hand-held container or a hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle.
- Water newly planted trees, shrubs, flowers and vegetables by any method during installation and for the following 24 hours.
- Use micro-irrigation or drip-irrigation systems to water trees, shrubs, flowers and vegetables at any time on any day.
- Under the authority of a permit, water new sod on installation and during the first 21 days after installation, and water newly seeded lawns until growth is established or for 49 days after installation, whichever is less, with a sprinkler, but only during the prescribed Stage 1 lawn watering hours, and at any time if watering is done by a hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle.
- Water all-weather playing fields at any time if failure to do so will result in a permanent loss of plant material.
- Wash a vehicle with water using a hand-held container or hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle and at car dealerships or commercial car washes.
No Person Shall:
Wash sidewalks, driveways and parking lots except as necessary for applying a product such as paint, preservative and stucco, preparing a surface prior to paving or laying bricks, or if required by law to comply with health or safety regulations.
Exceptions to Stage 1 Restrictions:
- Owners or occupiers of property who, by reason of physical or mental incapacity, and where such incapacity has been documented by a medical practitioner, are unable to water their property within the restricted days and times, may water their property on any two days of the week for a maximum of nine hours per day.
- Nurseries, farms, turf farms and tree farms are exempt from the restrictions.
- Local government water parks and pools are exempt from the restrictions.
- Owners or operators of golf courses may water
(i) trees, shrubs, flowers, and vegetables grown on golf courses in accordance with stage 1 sections 1 (c) (i), (ii), and (iii) of this schedule; and (iii) fairways, golf greens and tees on any day if failure to do so will result in permanent loss of plant material.
Report Water Restriction Infractions to either:
- Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD): 250-334-6006
- Town of Comox: 250-339-2202
Traffic Advisory: Guthrie Road (Pritchard to Linshart)
Jun 27, 2019
August 6, BC Day
Aug 05, 2019
Stage 2 Watering Restrictions
Jul 10, 2019
Festival Weekend in Comox
Jul 08, 2019
Closures for Nautical Days
Jul 08, 2019