Finance Department

The Finance Department is responsible for budgets, collections, and financial reporting. The department issues tax notices, utility billings, invoices, business licence renewals, and the billings for the Comox Municipal Marina.

Online documents that are of interest are listed below. If you have questions about them or are seeking other documents, please contact the Finance Department.

Director of Finance: Clive Freundlich
Business: (250) 339-2202
Fax: (250) 339-7110

2021 Budget Update

As required by the Community Charter, annually the Town updates its 5-year Financial Plan to balance the changing needs and priorities within the community, which then establishes the annual Tax Rate Bylaw.

If you would like to provide feedback to Council on the provisional Town of Comox 2021-2025 Financial Plan and 2021 Core Operating Budget, please email or mail your comments to Mayor and Council council@comox.ca. 2021 Property Tax Notices will be mailed the last week of May 2021.

Important Update on 2021 Residential and Business Taxes:

At the April 7, 2021 Regular Council Meeting, Council determined the 2021 Tax Rate increases to be 4.95% for Residential and 3.95% for Commercial properties, rather than the 9.4% increase needed largely due to RCMP cost increases to the Town. The percentages were maintained at this rate because of the long term fiscal savings from the Town utilizing both COVID Restart funds and the Public Safety reserve to help decrease the projected taxes. The Town is set to see policing costs increase significantly due to population growth and a decreased contribution rate from other levels of government. Final Reading will be given to the Tax Rate Bylaw at a Regular Council Meeting in early May.

Important Update - 2021 & 2022 RCMP Cost-sharing and Town of Comox Population:

With the Town population surpassing 15,000 people, the yearly RCMP costs coverage will increase from 70% to 90%, with the remaining 10% paid by the federal government. This change will result in a total potential increase of $670,000 once fully accounted for. Those RCMP increases will not start until 2022, however, due to the RCMP Union negotiation’s and required retroactive pay once an agreement is reached, the Town estimates an additional amount between $350,000 - $400,000 will be required in 2021 to settle this liability, which will impact upon 2021 and 2022 taxes. Read more about RCMP Municipal Police Service Agreements here to learn what expenses are covered in the agreement.

2021 Detailed Financial Plan Reports and Presentations:

April 7, 2021, Regular Council Meeting: View the Agenda and related reports here.

March 17, 2021, Regular Council Meeting: Watch the meeting, and review the Agenda with related reports as follows:

March 10, 2021, Special Council Meeting: Review the Agenda with related reports as follows:

February 3, 2021, Regular Council Meeting: Watch the meeting, and review the Agenda with related reports and minutes as follows:


Prior Years Documents

2020: 2020-2024 Financial Plan | 2020 Newsletter | 2020-2024 Capital Spending | 2020 Town Taxes | 2020 All Taxes (All Taxing Authorities)

2019: 2019-2023 Financial Plan | 2019 Newsletter | 2019-2023 Capital Spending | 2019 Town Taxes | 2019 All Taxes (All Taxing Authorities)

2019 Budget Report | 2018 Carbon Neutral Progress Public Report


2020 Taxes: Tax Rate Schedule | Tax Rate Bylaw

2019 Taxes: Tax Rate Schedule | Tax Rate Bylaw

2018 Taxes: Tax Rate Schedule | Tax Rate Bylaw | Taxes on Representative Single Family Home

2017 Taxes: Tax Rate Schedule | Tax Rate Bylaw | Taxes on Average Home


2019 Financial Statements

2018 Financial Statements

2017 Financial Statements

2016 Financial Statements

2015 Financial Statements

2019 Statement of Financial Information - public reporting under the Financial Information Act

2018 Statement of Financial Information - public reporting under the Financial Information Act

2017 Statement of Financial Information - public reporting under the Financial Information Act

2016 Statement of Financial Information - public reporting under the Financial Information Act

2015 Statement of Financial Information - public reporting under the Financial Information Act


Other Documents

Prior Years Consolidated Financial Statements: 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012

Property Tax Rates in 2019 and prior years - Tax Rate Schedules from prior years

Delinquent Tax Sales under Local Government Act - Sections 403 to 427 of the Act, which sets the rules for tax sales and the subsequent redemption or title registration.

Council's Permissive Tax Exemption Policy and Permissive Tax Exemptions Authorized for 2020.


Relevant Links